The butter smell and melting pav with bhaji in between make up for a wonderful evening. It is a popular snack item in the Northern states of India. However, it is now widely available across the different states and with a variety of tastes.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 – 20 minutes
2 big potatoes
1 cup of chopped carrots, beans, peas and cauliflower
1 big onion
1 medium sized capsicum
2 medium sized tomato finely chopped
Slit 2 green chillies into equal parts
1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
3 tablespoons of butter
½ tablespoon of red chilli powder
2 tablespoons of pav bhaji masala
Salt – to taste
Buns/pav/bread – as needed (usually 4 pavs for a single serving)
Chopped onion and coriander leaves for garnishing in the end
- Wash the potatoes and peel of the skin. Use a single whistle in the pressure cooker to cook them or about 5 minutes in the microwave oven.
- Cook other chopped vegetables for 2 whistles in the pressure cooker. When using a microwave oven, use with care as they should not mash up completely.
- On the heating deep fry pan, use butter, chopped onion and 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste to mix thoroughly. Make sure to heat until the onions turn into golden brown color. The raw smell of the ginger garlic paste should also wear off.
- Add capsicum, salt, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder and tomatoes. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Make sure that the tomatoes have turned mushy. Only then add other vegetables and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir well.
- Let the entire stuffing simmer on medium flame for 5 minutes. Use a ladle to mash the entire stuffing and until all the vegetables mix well. This readies the bhaji. Add butter if required.
- Add chopped onions, coriander leaves and lemon wedge to taste.
- Fry the pav in a heating pan with ½ tablespoon of butter.
- Both pav and bhaji are now ready. Consume individually or by adding the bhaji in between two pavs.
- Do not over fry the bhaji.
- Add adequately the garam masala. Excessive addition can cause the bhaji to be too spicy.
- Vegetables can be any choice.