Chole bhature is a famous Punjabi recipe. The delicious taste has spread across the country. The recipe is available across the Indian sub-continent and abroad in various countries. It is a spicy, healthy and a stomach filling dish.
Preparation time: 9 hours
Cooking time: 30 mins
1 cup of dried chickpeas
1 green chilli slit into two parts equally
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1/4th tablespoon of red chilli powder
½ tablespoon of turmeric powder
1 tablespoon of garam masala or chole masala
½ tablespoon of dry mango powder (amchur)
A small pinch of asafoetida
1/4th tablespoon of rock salt or black salt
2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
1 Indian bay leaf (tej Patta)
2 inch cinnamon
3 green cardamom
3 black pepper
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes
1 green chilli finely chopped
2 cups of whole wheat flour
3/4th cup of yoghurt
½ tablespoon of brown sugar
½ tablespoon of baking soda
½ cup all purpose flour (maida)
Chole Preparation method:
- Soak the chickpeas in water overnight before going to sleep. This usually takes 8 hours to make them soft.
- The following day, drain the water from the container and wash the peas with fresh water.
- Cook chole using a pressure cooker or a cooking pot with a pinch of salt added into it.
- Strain the chole and keep aside.
- Use a blender to a fine paste of chopped onions, tomatoes, ginger, green chilies and garlic. Do not add any water. Keep the paste aside.
- In a heating pan, add oil, garam masala, cumin seeds, Indian bay leaf, cinnamon, green cardamom, cloves and black pepper. Simmer the content for about 5 minutes.
- Add the paste (from step 5) into the pan and mix thoroughly. Stir well to make sure that the paste does not stick to the pan.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and dry mango powder. Stir well to mix evenly. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked chole into the pan. Stir well.
- Add one cup of water in the beginning. Add salt. Stir well. If the water is not sufficient, add one more cup. Excessive water will make the gravy too watery. Make sure to add the water adequately.
- Leave the cooking pan open and simmer for 15 minutes on medium flame.
- Add chole masala and stir well.
- Remove the content and garnish with coriander leaves and chopped onions.
Bhature Preparation Method:
- Mix yoghurt, brown sugar, baking powder, and all purpose flour in a bowl. Keep is aside and leave it overnight. This should be done the previous night before preparation of chole bhature. Add water if the yoghurt is thick. Cover the bowl with a cloth and keep in a warm place.
- The following day, tiny bubble appears on the mixture. The presence of these bubbles ensure that it is ready for the next process.
- Take a bowl and mix whole wheat flour and salt with butter rubbed on the finger tips. Add the yoghurt mixture along with warm water and mix well. Press well to make the flour into a stiff dough.
- Form balls into equal parts and roll them into flat discs. Heat oil in a deep fry pan. Let the oil simmer for 5 minutes. Add slowly the discs into the pan. Do not deep fry. Turn the discs top and bottom for even cooking. They turn red brown color which indicates they are cooked.
- Garnish the chole with chopped onions, lemon wedge and coriander leaves. Serve hot.