Tadka Dal / Dal Tadka is a speciality of Punjabi cuisine, generally served with rotis, phulkas, chapathi or hot rice. Mostly its made with Yellow lentils or a combination of lentils.
It's simple, delicious and easy to prepare.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Number of Servings (yield) : 4
Tuvar dal - 1 ½ cup
Tomatoes - 1 large chopped
Onions - 1 small chopped
Turmeric pwd - a pinch
Hing - a pinch
Red Chilly pwd - 1 tsp
Garam Masala pwd - ½ tsp
Garlic Chopped - 2 tsp
Ghee - 4 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chillies - 2
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Curry Leaves - 5 to 6
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice (Optional)
- Wash & soak Tuvar dal for about 15 mins
- Pressure cook - Tuvar Dal - by adding a pinch of hing and turmeric pwd
- Next heat a tsp of Ghee in a frying pan.
- Add chopped onions and chopped tomatoes, red chilly powder, salt and garam masala
- Now add the cooked Dal to this mixture
- Add water for consistency and let it boil for few more minutes in a low medium fame
- Heat 2 to 3 tsp of Ghee in a small pan and season it with chopped garlic, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and red chillies
- Now add this mixture to the Dal and Mix well
- You can Garnish it with coriander leaves and also add some lemon juice (optional)
To save time, cook Tuvar Dal in pressure cooker untill it becomes soft.